≡ Menu ≡ Categories Menu

You are here: Home » Rii i8+ Mini Keyboard and Amazon Fire TV Stick

The Rii i8+ mini keyboard has made navigating around my Amazon Fire TV Stick a lot easier. If you’re using the Amazon Fire TV Stick with Kodi, Terrarium TV or any of the other streaming services, you know how cumbersome using the Fire Stick remote can be. Searching for movies by title or actor requires a lot of remote clicks. Even more cumbersome is when you attempt to install software programs like Terrarium. Typing in URLs is not fun. Heaven forbid you insert a typo. Fortunately, with the Rii i8+ mini keyboard, typos are not a problem.Rii i8+ and Amazon Remote

Rii i8+ Mini Keyboard Initial Setup

Before using the Rii i8+ mini keyboard you must charge it. The keyboard comes with a USB charger. It’s a three-way cord so you can sideload things if necessary. I’m not exactly sure what side load means but it’s there if you want to do it. Guess it’s better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Rii i8+ Mini Keyboard Charging Port

For my purposes, I plugged one end into the keyboard (located on the top near the On/Off switch) and the other end into the USB charging station. While charging the middle indicator light shone red. When it shut off I knew the keyboard was charged. If I’m remembering correctly, the unit took a little while to charge (longer than I expected).

Learning the Keyboard Features

To explain the keyboard, I’ve decided to take it in halves. I’ll first discuss the bottom half of the keyboard, then the top (bottoms up).

Rii i8+ Mini Keyboard Bottom

Bottom Half of the Rii i8+

This tiny keyboard packs a lot of functions in a small space. In addition to having a full QWERTY keyboard, the lower half of the Rii i8+ has mouse controls. There are the left and right mouse buttons on the left side of the QWERTY keyboard, and the Page Up and Page Down buttons to the right of the keyboard. When pressing the FN keys simultaneously with the Page Up or Page Down buttons they act as the Home and End keys. The Enter key also doubles as the Three-finger salute (Ctrl, Alt Delete) when pressed with FN key. Depressing the FN key with the space bar adjusts the sensitivity of the mouse.

As with a regular keyboard, the numbers row is located above the letter keys and the F function keys are in the row above that. Each F function key has an alternative purpose when it is pressed simultaneously with the FN key.

How Rii i8+ Mini Keyboard Differs from Full Sized Keyboard

There are a few minor layout differences, however, in the Rii i8+ keyboard layout. This is to be expected on such a small device. The dash/underline and equal/plus keys are located to the left of the spacebar. The semicolon/colon, apostrophe/quotes are located to the right of the last row of letters. And finally, open and close brackets, forward slash and question mark are located beneath the semicolon/comma keys.

In order to get everything on the keyboard, some things had to be altered. It takes a little getting used to, but nothing major. Since I wouldn’t use it to replace full-sized keyboard for typing things such as this post, the changes are insignificant to me.

Top Half of the Rii i8+ Mini Keyboard

The top half of the keyboard is pretty self-explanatory. But since I was verbose about the bottom half, I might as well yammer on about the top half too.

Rii i8+ Mini Keyboard Top

Rii i8+ Mini Keyboard: Top Left

In the upper left-hand corner are the media keys. Arranged in a circle you’ll find the controls for the volume (V+ and V-), Rewind, Play/Pause and Fast Forward. Beneath the media keys circle are three indicator lights as follows:

• Left – Blue light: The blue light illuminates when the device is turned on. It turns off when in standby mode or off (after a few minutes the device goes into standby mode to save battery life).
  • Center – Red light: Indicates battery charge level. I believe it flashes when the charge is low, but I’m not sure because my batteries have yet to run down that far. I do know, however, that it does remain illuminated when charging and shuts off when the device is fully charged.
  • Right – Orange Light. This light flashes when input occurs, i.e. when typing or using the mouse.

To the right of the media keys are 4 buttons as follows:

• Open media player: I’ve not used this since I’m using it with the Fire Stick. Haven’t tried it with a computer to see if it actually works.
  • Turn backlighting on and off. Great when using at night (just like standby mode, the backlight will turn off after a minute or two to save battery life).
  • Mute and un-mute sound
  • Left mouse button

Rii i8+ Mini Keyboard: Top Center

Here’s where the fun happens. The top center top of the keyboard is the mouse pad. It’s pretty interesting to get used to. Fortunately, they have instructions printed on the mouse pad for people like me who need the extra help in figuring a few things out.

Actually, I’m kidding. The instructions are pretty simple. Single tap invokes the left mouse button and double tap the right mouse button. Using two fingers while dragging up or down on the mouse pad scrolls the TV/computer screen.

Rii i8+ Mini Keyboard: Top Right

To the right of the mouse pad are the following buttons:

• Bluetooth Pairing: Press this button for pairing to make the keyboard discoverable.
  • Search: Use it to open a search window or, in my case, search for a movie/TV program.
  • Home: Takes you back to the Home screen.
  • Right mouse button

Even farther right is a circle of directional keys. On a full-sized keyboard, the directional keys (arrows) are usually found next to the number pad. On the Rii i8+ mini keyboard it’s located on the right with an OK button in the middle. The OK button has the same function as the Enter or left mouse click.

Pairing Rii i8+ Mini Keyboard with Amazon Fire TV Stick

The Rii i8+ pairs with any Bluetooth device, but since I’m using it for the Amazon Fire TV Stick, that’s what I’ll talk about here. You can actually pair it with your Bluetooth phone, computer or tablet if you’d like.

On the Fire TV Stick navigate to the Add Bluetooth Devices screen. You get there by going to Settings  Controllers and Bluetooth Devices – Other Bluetooth DevicesAdd Bluetooth Devices. Once you’re at the screen, press the pair button on the keyboard.

Paired Keyboard

When the Fire TV Stick discovers the device, select it with the Fire Stick remote. The Fire Stick will pair with the keyboard and you’re done. Test the keyboard by pressing the Home button to bring you back to the Fire Stick’s Home screen.

The Rii i8+ mini keyboard also comes with a USB dongle for non-Bluetooth devices. Since I paired this with the Amazon Fire Stick I didn’t need the dongle. However, if you choose to use the keyboard with a non-Bluetooth device, the dongle is necessary.

Rii i8+ USB Dongle

My Opinion of the Rii i8+ Mini Keyboard

Being the dinosaur that I am, I’m not proficient at texting. On a full-sized keyboard, I can type upwards of 80 WPM, but texting reverts my WPM to approximately 3! With this in mind, I had concerns about using this mini keyboard. Surprisingly, however, I’m able to type pretty quickly and accurately with it. I think it’s the rubber-like (silicone?) material of the keys. My fingers don’t slip off the keys and create typos. It has a nice feel.

All in all, I’m happy with this little keyboard that I purchased from Amazon.

BTW, if you want to read the manufacturer’s manual, you’ll find it here: Rii i8+ Mini Keyboard Manual

FeliciaFelicia (aka Low Tech Grandma) is a wife, mother, grandmother, freelance writer and low tech blogger.

36 comments… add one
  • Lola August 12, 2018, 10:34 pm

Thank you so much! You have explained this so well! I like my keyboard but didn’t understand all its features! Now I can explain it to my husband! Thanks again ❤️

• Felicia August 13, 2018, 8:54 am

Glad my explanation helped! 🙂

• Richard Durost July 4, 2018, 11:32 pm

Mini Wireless Keyboard 08RF/2.2 is available from eBay for about 9 bucks shipped. This seems to be nearly identical to one of the Riitek models, a NON-Bluetooth model.

The key to success: Insert the receiver, and after Windows detects it and finishes loading drivers (a few minutes), press Fn + RF (Function F1 on the keyboard) to restart the automatic pairing process. My 08RF paired after a few seconds to a Windows 7 PC using this method.

I have not tested it on my Fire TV gen. 3 device yet because I’m awaiting delivery of a USB port expander so I can connect the receiver.

Here’s the manual that gave me the tip: http://www.riitek.com/uploads/soft/i8.pdf

The 08RF/2.2 that I got was described as a Bluetooth device, but it isn’t. It doesn’t have the Bluetooth pairing button. This is what is labeled with a magnifying glass on the non-Bluetooth mini-keyboards.

Good luck!

Richard

• Andrew June 5, 2018, 3:15 pm

To access the three line/menu function on the Rii i8BT press the right hand mouse button in the top half of the screen. This works for me on my firestick.

• John May 30, 2018, 12:53 pm

On this keyboard, what is the key that equals the option button on a fire stick remote?

• Harley May 19, 2018, 2:19 am

Hello, do the volume keys on Rii work to control master volume on Fire TV? I connect my Fire TV stick to great JBL Bluetooth speakers but I’d really like to remotely control volume…(like..using this keyboard).

• Felicia Williams May 24, 2018, 8:45 am

Haley, I haven’t had any luck in controlling the volume with the remote.

• Jeremy May 17, 2018, 5:00 pm

The problem I’m having is syncing up the mouse pointer, like just say I’m clicking on a link, I have to position my cursor like 3 inches down off the link and try to find the right spot to click it, any suggestions on what’s going on?

• Felicia Williams May 24, 2018, 8:43 am

Jeremy, I apologize for the late response. As I mentioned in another comment, my son was in a serious accident and my time hasn’t been my own for a while.

As far as using the mouse, it is a little tricky, because there’s more than one mouse access. When using the remote I use the mousepad to navigate around and then double tap (or is it single tap) to click the link. You could also use the arrow buttons located at the top right-hand corner of the remote to access a link and then click the OK button in the middle. I find that to be a bit more cumbersome.

Which method are you using?

• Marcel April 28, 2018, 10:33 am

I have a Rii mini keyboard but having a issue pairing it to firestick. Linking it up Bluetooth seems to be not working. If you know what is the name of the wire that you hook up the firestick,mouse together. Thanks

• Felicia Williams May 7, 2018, 3:21 pm

Marcel, I apologize for the late response. I’m not quite sure if I know the name of the wire either. I’ve never hooked up the firestick with a physical mouse. I’ll have to do a little research to see if I can find what you’re looking for.

• David April 28, 2018, 2:34 am

Ctrl+Esc will do the three horizontal lines button.

• Low Tech Grandma April 28, 2018, 8:44 am

Thank you, David! I haven’t been able to figure that one out. Your info is of tremendous help!

You’re the first to earn the Gold Star Award! 🙂
      Gold Star Award

• John April 19, 2018, 6:09 pm

Hey good work here. Lots of information and details. Unfortunately you left out the one piece I was really looking for – exactly how long it takes to charge – especially the first time. I’m charging it for the first time now but gave it a brief field test and am really in geek-tech-love. Can’t wait for that red light to turn off.

• Low Tech Grandma April 20, 2018, 8:03 am

Hey John,
      My bad. I honestly don’t remember how long it took to charge. Actually, I didn’t wait for the red light to turn off. I used the mini keyboard before it was fully charged. Later on in the day when I wasn’t watching anything, I let it finish charging. Can’t remember how long it took.

One thing I can say, however, is since my original charge, I’ve not had to charge it since. It seems to hold the charge for a very long time.

• Desslok April 1, 2018, 7:46 pm

Where would the “return” and “menu” be on this keyboard?

• Low Tech Grandma April 10, 2018, 8:44 am

To access the menu use Ctrl and M. I’m unclear on what you mean by return. Do you mean the Enter key to access a new line or to go back to a previous page? Depending on the app you’re in, sometimes the Escape key works to take you back and sometimes the Back key works to go to a previous page. It doesn’t always work with all apps.

• Shane March 28, 2018, 4:00 pm

How do you click on a link using the fire stick / silk browser with the mini i8. I have tried the okay button and pretty much all other buttons. I can move the mouse just fine, when i hover above it and click okay it won’t respond like the regular remote. Thanks in advance.

• Low Tech Grandma March 29, 2018, 7:38 am

To click on a link using the Rii i8, either single tap in the mouse area of the remote or use the left mouse button located to the bottom left of the mousepad area.

• Gary March 25, 2018, 8:06 pm

Nice, but no mention of using the mousepad. Like, how do you get an arrow cursor to appear on-screen so you can actually USE the mousepad?

• Low Tech Grandma March 27, 2018, 8:48 am

The curser with the mini keyboard is actually a circle. It works similar to the way a laptop mouse works. Run your finger along the mouse area of the mini keyboard and the circle will appear on the screen.

• Jackie March 18, 2018, 1:24 pm

I don’t have a blue tooth connect icon on my rii plus so having difficulty connecting to my amazon firebox any suggestions?

• Low Tech Grandma March 20, 2018, 7:07 am

If your remote isn’t Bluetooth, it probably has the USB dongle for connecting to your firebox (not very familiar with the firebox). My remote has both Bluetooth and the dongle. This video might be helpful in explaining how to set up the USB to work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIzAHzHSr60

I’d be interested to know if it works for you.

• Walter Brumfield February 26, 2018, 12:06 am

The three line menu key is the right click on the mouse button for the wireless mini keyboard.

• Low Tech Grandma March 2, 2018, 7:09 am

Walter, I’m not sure I understand your comment.

• Walter March 2, 2018, 12:12 pm

In order to access the firestick menu key on the keyboard, I was able to use the right click mouse button on the keyboard. I wish I could paste a picture. But there are multiple mouse keys on the keyboard. Use the right click button. I haven’t tried Cntrl M to see if that works also, but may give it a shot.

• Low Tech Grandma March 6, 2018, 8:14 am

Walter, I’m sorry for my lack of response. My son was in an accident and I’ve been very busy with him, hospitals, surgeries and the like. As soon as things settle a bit, I’ll be able to get back to proper responses and hopefully writing new content.

• Michael March 29, 2018, 7:26 pm

Couldn’t get either of the right-click buttons to bring the menu up, but CTRL-M did the trick just fine. I’m wondering, tho, how to simply go back a webpage (the equivalent of using the back arrow on the Firestick remote).

Love this thread – and the site – and Grandma, I do hope your son is okay and doing well.

Thanks ….

• Low Tech Grandma March 30, 2018, 7:49 am

Go figure! I tried using the CTRL+M and it worked for me this time. I don’t know what I was doing wrong before! As far as going back to the previous webpage, I haven’t figured that one out. I’m going to play around with it a bit to see if it’s doable.

Thanks for the well wishes. My son has a long recovery road ahead of him, but he’s young and strong. The bittersweet news is his wife had their second child, a girl. I’m a proud and happy grandma again! Even at the seemingly darkest times, a ray of sun shines through. 🙂

• helper January 31, 2018, 9:57 am

Press Strg + M for Options

• Low Tech Grandma January 31, 2018, 2:16 pm

Helper, I tried it, but it didn’t work. BTW, for those not familiar with Strg, it’s the equivalent to our Ctrl.

• Todd January 8, 2018, 8:03 am

What button is the 3 lines or options button that you get on the amazon remote?

• Low Tech Grandma January 8, 2018, 3:42 pm

Hi Todd,

That’s one thing I haven’t been able to figure out. I did some research online and I believe it would require re-mapping one of the keyboard keys to function as the 3-line menu button. Not knowing how to do that, I’ve left it alone. If I can find a user-friendly, easy way to re-map a key, I’ll let you know. In the meanwhile, you’ll have to use the Fire Stick remote. Or, download the Firestick app on your phone or tablet. I just downloaded it today and am playing around with it. It’s working pretty good so far.