≡ Menu ≡ Menu

You are here: Home » TV » Samsung TV’s On/Off Chimes: Here’s How to Silence Them

I’m still trying to understand why Samsung would program the default setting for their flat-screen TVs to chime every time they’re turned on or off. Since we have more than one Samsung TV, we know not all of them are programmed this way. Our older TV quietly turns on and off. The newer one, however, lets everyone know when it’s called into service and later when the services are no longer necessary.

Samsung-TV

The chiming is especially annoying when the occasional sleepless night occurs and you want to spend mindless time watching infomercials in the wee hours of the morning whilst the rest of the family sleeps. You quietly tiptoe into the living room turn the TV on and, WHAM, the Bells of St Mary’s begin to chime.
If that’s not bad enough, you finally tire of watching infomercials and feel drowsy enough to go back to bed.  You turn off the TV and the loud chimes shock you back into fully awake mode (a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my drift).

Getting Rid of the Samsung TV Chimes

After much trial and error, we finally figured out how to turn off the annoying sounds. Below are the steps that worked for our model. Your steps may differ depending on your TV model:

1. Get the remote control that came with the Samsung TV and press the Menu button.

Samsung TV Remote Control

1. Once the menu appears on the TV screen, scroll down to Plug & Play.

Plug & Play

1. Press the right arrow on the remote and scroll through the Plug & Play menu options until you come to Melody.
  1. Press the right arrow again to view the options Off, Low, Medium and High. If you like the chimes but would prefer them to ring discreetly select Low. We don’t like them so we selected Off.

Samsung Melody Option

1. After you turned the chimes off, hit the Return button as many times as necessary to get out of the Menu and back to regular viewing.
  1. Test it out. Turn your Samsung TV off and then back on again. It should do so quietly.

Note: If you’re using external speakers the Melody option might be disabled. You’ll have to change the audio configuration temporarily to internal speakers. Doing so should make the Melody option available. After you turn the chimes off, go back and set the speakers to external.

If these instructions don’t work for your Samsung model, visit the Samsung website and download the User Manual for your model.

A few words of warning: The user manuals are only readable online. Although you are able to download and print the User Manual for your TV model, you won’t be able to read the printed copy. Samsung was able to condense the 16-page paper User Manual for my TV into a 2-page .pdf file. The only possible way to read the tiny print is to use the zoom feature in the .pdf software.

TV User Manual

FeliciaFelicia (aka Low Tech Grandma) is a wife, mother, grandmother, freelance writer and low tech blogger.

62 comments… add one
  • Kim October 19, 2017, 8:33 am

This is awesome! A Good read and very helpful. Thank you.

• Paul September 21, 2017, 7:41 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It’s been driving me crazy!

• Low Tech Grandma September 22, 2017, 10:08 am

You’re very welcome. It used to drive me crazy too. I wrote this article because I didn’t think I was the only one who hated the chimes. Apparently I was right. A lot of folks feel just the way you and I do.

Enjoy your quiet TV! 🙂

• Debbie October 16, 2017, 2:01 am

Thanks so much!

• Low Tech Grandma October 17, 2017, 6:58 am

You’re welcome! I remember just how annoying those Samsung chimes were. Glad I was able to help.

• Michael Galante April 10, 2017, 7:44 pm

I can’t tell you how many times that darn chime woke up either my wife or our baby!!!! Thank you!!!!

• Low Tech Grandma April 11, 2017, 8:00 am

Glad to hear your wife and child will be able to sleep while you can turn on or off the TV. 🙂

• Luca Z June 12, 2017, 6:00 pm

Thank you. I will tell other people that always wondered how to shut this off.

• Low Tech Grandma June 13, 2017, 9:01 am

Spread the word. I’m sure there are plenty of frustrated Samsung TV owners that wish they know how to shut the annoying chimes off. 🙂

• BARBARA TEZENO February 4, 2017, 4:25 pm

Thank you girlfriend!!!! You surely are on point.

• Low Tech Grandma February 7, 2017, 11:17 am

🙂 You’re welcome!

• kevin January 29, 2017, 9:43 am

cheers mate nice easy instructions to follow its been doing my head in .

• Low Tech Grandma January 29, 2017, 1:21 pm

LOL! Happy it helped.

• E Maya February 6, 2017, 11:11 pm

Thanks IT WORKS……………..no more annoying noise! Thank you.

• Low Tech Grandma February 7, 2017, 11:18 am

You’re welcome!

• Sara September 9, 2016, 4:04 am

Thank you for your help!

• Low Tech Grandma September 10, 2016, 12:32 pm

You’re welcome.

• Perky January 24, 2017, 9:03 am

Thank you for finally giving me the solution that worked. The “on-off” chimes made me nuts!!! So happy now. Thank you,thank you!!

• Low Tech Grandma January 24, 2017, 9:14 am

You are very welcome! I know how you feel. It drove me NUTS! 🙂

• Gwen Gustafson August 7, 2016, 6:20 pm

All Hail Queen Felicia!

Add me to the increasing numbers of loyal followers of Queen Felicia! Thanks for the instructions and the helpful photos. I’m so glad I found you as the result of a Google search.

For the Love of All That Is Holy… why on earth would Samsung program that feature in? Maybe they should use Google search and type in, “How is the general public loving our ‘loud enough to wake your neighbors’ chime for our televisions of a certain size which will most likely be used in bedrooms”? Ha!!! Just kidding.

Thanks Sweetie! You’re the BEST!!!

• Low Tech Grandma August 7, 2016, 8:02 pm

LOL! Gwen, your comment gave me a good belly laugh! 🙂

So glad it worked for you!

• E Maya February 6, 2017, 11:15 pm

I agree, why would they even put that sound on it? Mine was on medium but it’s in my bedroom.

• Nicola July 30, 2016, 5:16 am

Thank you!! I’ve had my TV years and it’s driven me crazy since I bought it. It’s now in our bedroom as we got a new one for our living room, and can totally relate to the noise shocking you back awake in the middle of the night. This will literally change me life!!!

• Low Tech Grandma August 3, 2016, 7:31 am

I know how you feel Nicola! I’m glad it worked for you.

• Candace June 30, 2016, 7:21 am

I wish Samsung would hire you to write its manuals. Thank you ever so much.

• Low Tech Grandma June 30, 2016, 5:06 pm

LOL! Thanks for the compliment Candace. I’m glad it worked for you.

• Casey June 29, 2016, 7:52 am

Thank you very much.

• Low Tech Grandma June 30, 2016, 5:06 pm

You’re welcome Casey.

• Debbie June 20, 2016, 11:59 am

Thank you so much LTG, the smug TV sounds have been annoying me for ages – THEY’RE SO LOUD! Your instructions worked perfectly, and I no longer have to wince each time the TV is switched on/off!

• Low Tech Grandma June 20, 2016, 5:50 pm

You’re welcome Debbie. I’m happy it worked for you.

• Val from BC May 30, 2016, 3:22 am

Thank you very much for your absolutely clear instructions, LTG. Also thanks to the other comments for the additional info. These chimes have been annoying me from day 1. Rest well all.

• greg May 5, 2016, 2:34 pm

Perfect! I have had this issue and am glad to get rid of it. Your tutorial was just what I needed. I can rest easy now that you have “educated” me. Thanks, your the best!

• Low Tech Grandma May 6, 2016, 9:19 am

Greg, I’m glad I can rest now. My job is done. 🙂 So happy to hear that it worked for you.

• elliot field March 30, 2016, 2:52 am

Hi, LTG–

Thanks for the instructions, although on my particular Samsung, I needed to press EXIT after setting the Melody to OFF. When I tried using the RETURN button after changing the setting, the change didn’t stick.

• Low Tech Grandma March 30, 2016, 7:19 am

Thanks for your input, Elliot. I’m sure your tip will help other folks with different Samsung models.

• Jim May 2, 2016, 10:28 pm

THANK YOU!!! I’ve been trying to figure out how to get rid of that sound that irritates me and stirs the dog. Like you, it is hard to imagine what the Samsung folks were smoking the day they made that the default setting.

• Low Tech Grandma May 3, 2016, 8:47 am

LOL! Glad to be of help.

• Billy December 27, 2015, 11:57 pm

I found annoying the chime setting under:
    Menu->Setup->External Settings->Melody
    The choices are off/low/medium/high

• Low Tech Grandma December 28, 2015, 8:39 am

Thanks for the info, Billy. I guess the Melody menu differs form model to model.

• Joseph December 12, 2015, 12:10 am

I see plug and play but it’s gray and I can’t scroll over it it just skips over plug and play to time

• Low Tech Grandma December 12, 2015, 1:59 pm

Joseph, that happens to my TV too. I found out in order for Plug and Play to be activated, the Samsung has to be in “TV” mode. I’m not sure which model or remote you have, but with mine, once I turn on the TV I press “Source” on the remote and select TV. I get nothing but snow on the screen, but when I go back to the Menu and scroll to Plug & Play, I’m able to select it.

I’ve not ventured very far in the Plug & Play screen, as I’m not quite sure what to do with it at this time. Guess I’ll have to explore that option too.

• Maya December 8, 2015, 12:19 am

Thank you LT Grandma, the WHAM sound is really annoying. Glad I found your website. Your instructions work for my TVs, thank you so much. Hope you’ll have tips on Roku, on how to save programs to watch later. Thank you again.

Maya

• Low Tech Grandma December 8, 2015, 9:11 am

I’m so glad it helped.

BTW, you’ve helped me to make a decision. I was on the fence as to whether or not to get a Roku. Your inquiry about the Roku tipped the scales in favor of purchasing one. After all, it’s for the greater good of my readers that I get a Roku, don’t you think? 🙂

• Shrilurk November 30, 2015, 11:58 pm

Thank you Felicia. The solution was quite non-intuitive – and who wants to hear these tones when starting and ending especially when you are operating in the quiet mode.

And Maggie, that is also good info, this explains how it came back on after being off for so long. I was messing around with buttons on the TV buttons (impossible to see) and it must have reversed it back on.

• Low Tech Grandma December 1, 2015, 11:33 am

Glad to be of help. I’m hoping that in the future Samsung will change the default to chimes “off” with the option to turn them on if you want them. If not, then they should have an easier, more intuitive way to turn them off (and keep them off).

• Shrilurk December 6, 2015, 4:49 pm

Still comes back on no matter which tecnique I use!

• Low Tech Grandma December 7, 2015, 8:14 am

Oh boy. I’m not sure what the solution could be. Did you check to see if the TV was in demo mode as Maggie suggested? Which model Samsung do you have? Maybe with a little more info, I can do some digging around to see if I can find a solution.

• GW November 28, 2015, 5:08 am

Yasssss! Thank you!

• Sasha November 11, 2015, 3:32 am

Felicia,

You are the best. This is so great. I finally got rid of that annoying sound (chimes) from my Samsung tv. Now let’s see how shocked my husband will be since I somehow figured it out before him. Lol

Sasha

• Low Tech Grandma November 11, 2015, 11:48 am

Sasha, I’m so glad my article helped you. I also wish I could see the shock on your husband’s face to know that you figured it out first. 🙂

• Becky October 27, 2015, 9:19 am

Thank you so much! This has been annoying me for years! On our Samsung I had to go to Setup then External Settings then Melody.

• Low Tech Grandma October 27, 2015, 10:19 am

Glad it worked! I think the instructions for each model might vary slightly, but the best thing is turning those annoying chimes off! 🙂

• Maggie October 7, 2015, 11:26 am

Hi, I’ve done this many, many times. Every time I turn the tv off, the melody kicks in again when I turn the tv back on. I’ve upgraded the software recently but it still won’t stay silent. Any ideas? Thanks

• Low Tech Grandma October 7, 2015, 11:16 am

Hi Maggie,

Can’t say that I have a solution for the problem, but if you give me the model number of your TV I could do a little snooping around. No promises, but I’ll try to find an answer.

• Maggie Cooper October 7, 2015, 11:26 am

Hey, thanks for the reply. I’ve solved it… Finally. My tv was in store demo mode. Apparently that causes the default settings to kick in every time the tvs is turned back on; the reason being, when the tv is in the store sales staff can demonstrate different functions to customers, then, when they restart the next day the settings are restored. I set the tv to home mode by pressing the volume control on the tv, not the remote, then while the volume scale is displayed, hold down the menu button for 5 seconds. Then I turned the melody off and it worked.

• Low Tech Grandma October 7, 2015, 11:28 am

Oh good. Glad to hear you solved the problem. Your solution might help other folks with demo models.

Thanks for sharing your solution.

• Maggie October 7, 2015, 11:30 am

No worries, thanks for your input. I should mention that I bought a store demo tv… I rather think if you bought an unused item in the box it would be preset to home mode.

• Erik Gustafsson February 3, 2017, 9:29 am

Thank you for the store demo solution. It has been driving me utterly mad the last couple of days of not knowing why and what our 11 months old has done!

• Low Tech Grandma February 4, 2017, 6:47 am

Ahhh, those inquisitive 11-month old hands. It’s no telling what they can do!

So glad to hear you were able to undo the damage. 🙂

• Lisa September 28, 2015, 3:48 am

Excellent, thank you!

• Low Tech Grandma September 28, 2015, 9:23 am

Glad the instructions helped.