I’m still trying to understand why Samsung would program the default setting for their flat-screen TVs to chime every time they’re turned on or off. Since we have more than one Samsung, we know not all of them are programmed this way. Our older TV quietly turns on and off. The newer one, however, lets everyone know when it’s called into service and later when the services are no longer necessary.
The chiming is especially annoying when the occasional sleepless night occurs and you want to spend mindless time watching infomercials in the wee hours of the morning whilst the rest of the family sleeps. You quietly tiptoe to the living room turn the TV on and, WHAM, the Bells of St Mary’s begin to chime.
If that’s not bad enough, you finally tire of watching infomercials and feel drowsy enough to go back to bed. You turn off the TV and the loud chimes shock you back into fully awake mode (a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my drift).
Getting Rid of the Samsung TV Chimes
After much trial and error, we finally figured out how to turn off the annoying sounds. Below are the steps that worked for our model. Your steps may differ depending on your TV model:
- Get the remote control that came with the TV and pres the Menu button.
- Once the menu appears on the TV screen, scroll down to Plug & Play.
- Press the right arrow on the remote and scroll through the Plug & Play menu options until you come to Melody.
- Press the right arrow again to view the options Off, Low, Medium and High. If you like the chimes but would prefer them to ring discreetly, select Low. We don’t like them so we selected Off.
- After you turned the chimes off, hit the Return button as many times as necessary to get out of the Menu and back to regular viewing.
- Test it out. Turn your TV off and then back on again. It should do so quietly.
Note: If you’re using external speakers the Melody option might be disabled. You’ll have to change the audio configuration temporarily to internal speakers. Doing so should make the Melody option available. After you turn the chimes off, go back and set the speakers to external.
If these instructions don’t work for your Samsung model, visit the Samsung website and download the User Manual for your model.
A few words of warning: The user manuals are only readable online. Although you are able to download and print the User Manual for your TV model, you won’t be able to read the printed copy. Samsung was able to condense the 16-page paper User Manual for my TV into a 2-page .pdf file. The only possible way to read the tiny print is to use the zoom feature in the .pdf software.